Thursday, November 6, 2008

Measurement of Students' Intelligence - Part 2

So, here I am, writing where I had left everyone, whoever read the first part, hanging or confused for the most part.

**NOTE: Part 1 can be be read here http://neham18.blogspot.com/2008/10/measurement-of-students-intelligence.html or if your viewing my home page, http://neham18.blogspot.com/, then just scroll down until u see part 1**

How did the last post relate to the measurement of intelligence? Let me start off by elaborating on Multiple Choice questions.

A,B,C,D or E: only one is the right answer. There are no two opinions about the correct answer, the answer is there, and only one is the correct answer.

Let's take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of Multiple Choice questions form Neha's perspective.

ADVANTAGES
1. From Psychology: 'recall' vs. 'recognize'. The choices given are easier to 'recognize' rather than having to 'recall' the answer. As soon as you see the choices, you're able to 'recognize' the answer, and BAM, you know that's the one. Whereas, in Open-ended question, you have to 'recall' and then continue from there.
2. You don't have to write as much as ones in open-ended questions.
3. If there are 5 options, and you don't know the answer, then you still have the option of guessing the answer which means that you would have a 20% chance of getting the right answer.

4. Easier for the Examiner to correct. Either machine or the teacher/professor himself/herself corrects it.
5. Alright, I can't come up with anymore.

DISADVANTAGES
1. Some options could be confusing.
2. Multiple options could lead to even more confusion
3. In a mathematical question, you may have the right formula, follow the right steps, but you might 'accidentally' mess up somewhere. But, as we all know how we can mess up on a math problem, so there you go, you will the wrong answer and not even get partial marks, as you would in an open-ended question.
4. In spite of knowing the answer, you may 'accidentally' circle the wrong option (yea, we've all done that at least, and Neha's no exception!)
5. Hmm....I can't think of any more disadvantages.

So, are Multiple choice a really a good way to measure our intelligence and whatever we have studied? Ditto for open ended questions, or any type of questionnaire.

We study our asses off, and get the content in our head, yet with these testing approaches, there are infinite ways to make mistakes which results in low marks. And these marks, in the end, do determine our standards of intelligence. Why? BECAUSE THIS IS A MATERIALISTIC WORLD AND IT SUCKS! :)

So, too bad for those of us who hate exams, tests, quizzes, assignments etc. Do you have a better way of testing your intelligence? Please, if you do, then be by guest! YOU'LL GO DOWN IN HISTORY (but please also mention my name in your famous interviews that I was the one who encouraged you to come up with a new method of measuring human intelligence). I would love to see some changes!

At the end of the day, we have to keep coping with the inevitable harsh realities that we face and go through in life! So, I end this blog by leaving a remark that one of my friend, Ruth, says: STICK IT UP YOUR ASS AND DEAL WITH IT! :)

=========================================================

BLOGGER'S LAST REMARKS/P.S.


  • I was taking a break from studying Operations Management, and as I don't wanna be addicted to the internet (mainly Orkut), so I've decided to do something rather than surfing Orkut and poking into people's profiles! lol...thus I finished this post as I didn't wanna keep it in wait line, plus i really didn't feel like thinking more on this 'boring' topic!...lol....
  • I don't know whether I've made any sense in this blog or not! but whatever....
  • Lately my INTERNET EXPLORER has been crashing, and it pisses me off!
  • Rab Ne Bana De Jodi's songs are great! All are great. I've been listening to "haule haule" and "dance pe chance"...
  • YESTERDAY (Nov 14-Nov15) WAS ONE OF THE WORST DAY/NIGHT EVER!
  • I swore too much and pissed some1 off, not just cuz of me swearing, but for other reasons....i hope that person forgives me :(
  • Oh and, i can't believe i'm saying this but, I LOVE READING! :)
  • P.P.S. there might be a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes cuz i haven't re-read this post. I just wanted to get it done with...lol...so please don't mind the mistakes, just try to get the essence of the post! :)

0 comments: